Halo Cryptum (Forerunner series #1)

I'm not a die-hard Halo fan but I generally enjoy the games and universe that has been created within them.

I've read about ten of the Halo novels and most have been quite good. Recently I completed the forerunner trilogy of Cryptum, Primordium and Silentium by Greg Bear and thought I'd briefly share my thoughts, hopefully without too many spoilers in case you're planning on reading them.

First up is Cryptum. Set a very long time before the events of Halo: Combat Evolved. The story follows a young forerunner named Bornstellar Makes Eternal Lasting.

His obsession with artefacts left behind by a mysterious civilization called the Precursors leads Bornstellar, along with two humans named Riser and Chakas, to a discovery which sets in motion a chain of events - the results of which could change the entire galaxy.

Together with an exiled military leader, the three set out on a journey which will reveal some fascinating truths about the background of the forerunners and humans, as well as re-emerging galactic dangers and the desperate measures put in place to combat them.

It seems some thought this series a bit too heavy in terms of the forerunner culture and history but I really enjoyed Cryptum to be honest.

It was nice to have a look at the Halo universe from a new angle - not only vastly earlier than the events we know well from the games, but also from the forerunner point of view and what certain events and entities mean to them.

It did very much feel like a buildup to the rest of the trilogy but kept things moving at a decent pace while throwing out intriguing questions about things to come.

Another point of interest for me was that some of the characters encountered in this book go on to play a part in the Master Chief's adventures in Halo 4, so to be able to learn a bit more about them was interesting.

All in all I'd say Cryptum is worth a read and can be found online for just a few pounds.

Looking back on them, I did have mixed feelings about the next two books in terms of their content and structure, so I'll be talking about them in separate posts in the near future.

Thanks for reading and if you've read Cryptum let me know what you thought of it!

Comments

Popular Posts